Converting a Word Document to a Mobile App

In this article, we’ll look at how you can turn a Microsoft Word document into an App that will play back directly in any modern browser. No plugins required, no App Stores required – the result is pure HTML5. You can see the result of this example at The AppCobra source project can be found at

We’ll be using AppCobra to illustrate how easy this is. It requires at least version 10.9.40 – which was uploaded on 2nd March, 2013. You can download a trial at

AppCobra is the world’s premier HTML5 editing tool for mobile and HTML5 browser apps. After this article, you’ll see why. And is this article, we only scratch the surface of its power.

How do we do it?

It is actually a very simple process.

The first step is to get your Word document into a series of bitmap, PNG, or JPEG files. PNG would be best. There are several tools that allow this to occur. In fact, there are probably tools that allow this to happen much more easily than the method we outline below.

In our case, here is what we did.

First, we created our Word document, add the images, the layout, the styles – everything we wanted in the document. We made the Word document in landscape, as it would match the screen size of most devices better.


Then we saved it as a PDF document.

We then imported the PDF document into PhotoShop Elements. This software allows you to save each page as a file type of your choice. We saved them as a PNG file. And it fact, we saved it in a size that was double what we needed – this allows us to use Retina Display support if we desired.


In AppCobra, we created a simple template. It consisted of a title bar, and four buttons. We set these buttons up to allow the user to move forwards and backwards, and also to the first or last step in the App.


Then, we created a placeholder in AppCobra (Add Objects / Full List / Placeholder command, and set it up at the size we wanted the pages to come in at.

We then used the Add Objects / Image command, selected the From File option, and navigated to the folder where the images were placed. The only thing we did to these images was to rename the images that started at 1 to 9 to be 01 to 09 – this ensured that the images would all come in at the right order (if you don’t do this, then alphabetically, it goes 18,19,2,20, etc).

We selected all the files, and imported them in one operation.


Essentially, it is now done. However, we added a table of contents to our Word Document. After import, it looked like this:


Currently, this is not functional – because it is just an image.

So, we used the Add Objects / Hotspot command to create a hotspot over each table of contents entry. For each hotspot, we selected the Interact / All Events command, and gave it the action Go to Specific Step. We then set the desired step for each entry. Below, each hotspot is represented by a red dotted outline. The user will not see these, however – all that they know is that if they select an entry in the table of contents, it will go to the appropriate page.


We did add a status bar along the bottom of the screen (using Add Objects / Full List / Import App Status Bar) to automatically denote user progress through the app.

Finally, we checked the App Settings / App Settings command to ensure everything was to our liking.

That’s it  – all done! We then used the Share button to upload to the AppCobra server!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s